This is an adopted version of the well-known eponymous game.
Skills: Listening, Speaking
Recommended Age: 7-9 y.o.
Number of Participants: 6-10 players
Time: 25-30 minutes
Place: Asphalt or sand playground
Equipment: Not required
Materials: A piece of chalk or wood
Preliminary Preparation: Not required
Immediate Preparation. (3-5 minutes).
1. Draw a river so wide that the players can easily jump over it.
2. Ask the children to stand in a line ‘on one bank’ and stand yourself ‘on the other’, playing the Crocodile.
How to Play. To start the competition, the participants call out to you: 'Who can cross the river, Mister Crocodile?' You answer, e.g.: 'Someone whose name begins with the letter ‘V'!’. The players, whose names begin with the mentioned letter, jump ‘on the opposite bank’. After that, the children again ask you the same question and you answer, e.g.: 'Someone who's wearing something orange!' and so on. The round continues as long as only one plyaer is left ‘on the bank’. This last remaining child plays the Crocodile in the following round. The game continues as long as each player, at least once, acts as the Crocodile.
Variation. Here are some ideas for other possible answers:
- Someone who's 7 years old (8 years old, etc);
- Someone who was born in July (in winter, etc);
- Someone whose name has got 7 letters (the letter 'O', etc);
- Someone who's got green eyes (blond hair, etc);
- Someone who's wearing a cap (glasses, etc).