Skills: Writing, Listening, Speaking
Recommended Age: 18+
Participants Number: 4-12 players
Time: 20-30 minutes
Equipment: Not required
Materials: Not required
Preliminary Preparation (5-10 minutes).
1. Think of a product, e.g. toothpaste.
2. Write a small advertisement for it, which might look something like this:
Wake up with it! It's made of a refreshing mixture of peppermint and eucalyptus, leaving your mouth clean, fresh and ready to start the day!
Immediate Preparation (5-7 minutes):
1. If possible, arrange the game participants so they are sitting in a circle or a semi-circle.
2. Explain to the students that they are going to hear an advertisement. Invite them to guess the product that it advertises.
2. Read out your adverticement at normal speaking speed. The player, who is the first to guess the product, gets one point.
3. Explain to the game participants that each of them should think of a product and write, on their own, a similar advertisment for it in their notebooks. Allow the students a reasonable amount of time to complete this task. While they are writing, circulate, monitor and assist, if necessary.
How to Play. When all the students have finished, bring the class to order. Afterwards, invite Player A to come and stand in front of their classmates. Next they should read out their advertisement. The other students in the group must try to guess the product. Then it is Player B, whose turn to come and so on. The game continues around the circle as long as all the products have been revelaed. At the end of the activity, the number of points, accumulated by each participant during the whole competition, is counted up. The player, who gets the most points in total, becomes the winner of the game.