Recommended Age: 8-12 y.o.
Number of Participants: 2-10 players, preferably even
Time: 20-30 minutes
Place: Asphalt playground
Equipment: Not required
Materials: Two pieces of chalk
Preliminary Preparation: Not required
Immediate Preparation (5-10 minutes).
1. Draw two square with the side of approximately 1 m. Next, write 'Supermarket' on the sign of one and 'Department store' on the sign of the other.
2. Divide the game participants into two groups of (roughly) equal size.
3. Provide the teams with the chalks.
How to Play. Before starting the competition, explain to the children that, working together, the players of Team A are going to write names of food in their form, and the players of Team B are going to write names of goods in theirs. At the end of the activity, the number of correct words, written by each team during the competition, is counted up. The team, which writes more words, becomes the winner of the game.
Variation. In order to make the task a bit more difficult and competitive, you may wish:
1. To give each player a specialized shop like Greengrocer, Jewellery, etc. In this case, the game should be held for individual standing;
or / and
2. To set a time limit (from 5 to 15 minutes, depending on the level of the students).