This is another version of the popular Word Chain game.
Skills: Writing, Reading
Recommended Age: 12+
Number of Participants: 2-12 players, prferably even or multiple to three
Time: 15-20 minutes
Equipment: A black- or whiteboard
Materials: A piece of chalk or a marker
Preliminary Preparation: Not required
Immediate Preparation (5-7 minutes):
1. Make sure that the players are familiar with the game of Word Chain. If the are not, it would be feasible to briefly explain the general rules of the classic version.
2. On the board, write a demonstration chain of words like this:
umbrella - lake - kettle - lesson - onion
3. Elicit from the students to say that each word in the given chain begins with the two last letters of the previuos one.
4. Divide the participants of the game into two or three parts of (roughly) equal size.
5. Tell each of the teams to make a similar chain of words. Allow the students a reasonable amount of time for completing this task. While they are working, circulate, monitor and assist, if necessary.
How to Play. When the teams are ready, tell them to nominate secretaries, who take it in turns to come to the board and write their chains. It might look something like this:
Team A: hippo - potato - tomato - towel - elephant - 5 words
Team B: cinema - match - chain - inside - describe - beach - chicken - 7 words
Team C: music - ice - centre - request - steal - always - 6 words
At this time, the competitors carefully check the spelling and count the number of words. In the given case, due to the largest number of words in their chain, Team B becomes the winner of the game.
Advice. In a class of adult learners, it would be more feasible to carry out the competition for individual standing.
As an alternative for higher levels, the task may be to make a cycled chain like this:
cheese - sea - ear - artist - station - one - near - area - earth - they - eye - year -arrow - owner - error - orange - generous - use - seven - envelope - peach
or / and
This activity is also can be used as a solo game. In this case, the player competes with themself, trying to make the longest chain.