Skills: Writing, Listening, Speaking
Recommended Age: 18+
Participants Number: 4-12 players
Time: 20-30 minutes
Equipment: Not required
Materials: Not required
Preliminary Preparation (5-10 minutes):
1. Think of a product, e.g. toothpaste.
2. Write a small advertisement for it like this:
Wake up with it! It's made of a refreshing mixture of peppermint and eucalyptus, leaving your mouth clean, fresh and ready to start the day!
Immediate Preparation (5-7 minutes):
1. Explain to the students that they are going to hear an advertisement. Invite them to guess the product that it advertises.
2. Read your adverticement at normal speaking speed. The player, who is the first to guess the product, gets one point.
3. Invite each student to think of a product and to write a similar advertisment for it in their notebook. Allow the players a reasonable amount of time to complete this task. While they are writing, circulate, monitor and assist, if necessary.
How to Play. When everyone is ready, bring the class to order. Afterwards invite Player A to come and stand in front of their classmates. Next they should read out their advertisement. The other students must try to guess the product. Then it is Player B, whose turn to come and so on. The game continues as long as all the products have been revelaed. At the end of the activity, the number of points, accumulated by each participant during the whole competition, is counted up. The player, who gets the most points in total, becomes the winner of the game.